Monday, February 28, 2011

Day Two.

Obviously I'm not keeping this diary as a day to day thing. In part because I'm not recording everyday. In fact I feel as though I'm still demoing...I am still demoing. It's just that the line between demo and recording is going to be ever blurring. Last time I ended up recording what I thought were demo's only to have the whole thing be done in Garageband (A recording program that comes with the Mac). To that end I bought a new Mac Mini specifically to have a dedicated computer for recording. Then my laptop bit the dust again, and it's become clear that as much as I would like to separate work and creative computers I can't do that yet. And anyway, what does that mean? Anyway, so that's been the plan, But I've been slow on getting a dedicated space together and the new computer has been a source of some consternation. The Zoom I used before and the new version of Garageband do not like to play well together, an issue that will have to be resolved before I can move forward full time, which is what I'm playing on doing come March 1st, which was yesterday...You following me?

Something that I've noticed is that the recording of this album and the writing have become inseparable. Used to be I'd write a bunch of songs on guitar, play 'em out some and then go add other instruments to it. Here I've been using the recording process on a couple of tunes, New Used Car, and Be Somebody. I spent way too much time working on the intro to Angry Anymore as I see it as the intro to the album. But it starts with this old scratchy recording, Just like Shady Grove did, just like the intro to Old Home Place on Moonshiner did (and how long did we spend on that?!?!). And just like those, I've always heard this tune coming out of an old machine, preferably from an Edison wax cylinder. The problem with this genius idea is that occasionally people will come up and tell me that they're something wrong with their CD, a woman in Florida even asked for her money back (WTF!) So now I'm actually torn between art and commerce. Maybe I should put a sticker on the front that says "the first 30 seconds of this CD is supposed to sound like shit."

No comments: