Sunday, February 20, 2011

Day One (or the story so far)

I just re-read Ed O'Brien's diary from recording "Kid A" and (probably just because I'm a big fan) found it fascinating reading. I said to myself, I' think I'll do the same thing once I start recording…except I already have.

It's a bit like they said in the movie Inception. You don't remember how a dream starts, only that you've been in it for a while. Same with recording for me I guess.

One of the things I find interesting is that when Radiohead was recording Kid A, they took evenings and weekends off. You know…like a job. I guess that's 'cause it is.

So here's the story so far: A few weeks ago I wrote down a bunch of tunes that I wanted to record, separated into four categories: original songs, original instrumentals, covers and traditional tunes. Right now it's heavily skewed towards originals, so I've been starting there. I spent a day (and blew my voice out) recording a bunch of the originals to have in the car with me, but thus far that hasn't quite worked out. Some of the tunes are brand new, written in the last couple of months. Well others I've been picking at for years. Some have changed meaning as the context of my life has changed…I'm not saying which ones. Got to be a bit of an enigma. I think I know how this record will start, and kinda what it will be about. But I have NO IDEA what it will sound like when it's finished. This starting set of tunes is actually pretty bluegrass-sounding, ironic since one of the reasons I put "Shady Grove" last on the last CD was to be a launching pad for something completely different. I haven't ruled out the idea of having the record remixed, perhaps as two CDs. This is the best part, when it's all possibility. The rest is actual work.

Songs so far:
Originals:
1. Where's the damned river when you need it
2. Angry Anymore
3. New, Used Car
4. Heavy Metal Farmer's Sons (aka the ballad of Travis Kilgore)
5. A Long Way from Settling Down
6. Before the Flood
7. Weathervane
8. Brown Liquor
9. Down Where the Mountain Used to Stand
10. Shenandoah
11. Be Somebody (Do the Work)
12. What Have You Learned
13. All I Need is You
14. Betty/The Path of Least Resistance
15. Weatherman/Tornado Girl

Instrumentals/Traditional or Both
1. Little Liza Jane
2. Prototype
3. Cluck O'l Hen
4. Old Aunt Jenny with her Nightcap On
5. Elzic's Farewell (Jay Ungar)

Covers
1. Brand New 1964 Dodge (Greg Brown)
2. Brothers on a Hotel Bed (Death Cab for Cutie)
3. Here Comes the Flood (Peter Gabriel)
4. Shenandoah (Anais Mitchell)
5. Beeswing (Richard Thompson)
6. Blackout (The Affordable Floors)
7. The Pig (Todd Young)
8. Walk Beside Me (Tim O'Brien)
9. Little Liza Jane (Dave Carter)
10. Birches (Bill Morrissey)

No way is this a definitive list or a double-album, I'll be sure to drop a lot of these (and add a few back too), and don't be surprised if I end up writing a few new ones as well.

No comments: