Tuesday, November 14, 2006

I like singing folk songs



I have no idea how people made records before the internet. When i was working on what would become "The Moonshiner's Atlas" scores of mp3's were send back and forth as Robert Force, Chris Martin (seen here desparately trying to make me sound good) decided which tunes to use, and how they should be arranged.

THIS SONG is a demo version of "I like singing folk songs" I found buried in my external HD. I recorded this in my bedroom and played all the instrument (which, when you hear the banjo come in, will be obvious). Back then, I was working as a tour guide back then so my voice was completely shot most days, hence the fuzziness (and total lack of pitch focus) The drums, by the way, are me playing brushes on the back of the dulcimer. Although I'm pleased and proud of the final version, which features some great playing by Matt Sircerly (mandolin), Jeanie Murphy (banjo), Maggie Marshall (bass) and Mark Pearson of The Brothers Four (guitar), this demo version has a vibe to it that i still really enjoy. Maybe it's those "drums".

No comments: