Tuesday, November 08, 2016

LA and Texas shows and workshops this weekend.

Friday, Nov. 11, 7pm
$10 suggested donation.
Baton Rouge, LA
House Concert at the home of Hellen Bankston
Contact Helen to RSVP: hmbakston at cox.net
hmbakston at cox.net
');> Saturday, Nov. 12th, 7pm - Free Texas Loopfest J&O's Cantina 1014 S. Presa San Antonio, TX 78210 Texasloopfest.com one of many acts that night, I play first. Sunday, Nov 12, 8pm - free (tips) Loopfest part 2 notsuoH 314 N Main St Houston, TX 77002 with The Winkler and the Hare and Xandra Wong Monday, Nov 14th - 1:30pm $20 per person Dulcimer Workshop and Concert Farmers Branch Senior Center 14055 Dennis Ln Farmers Branch, TX 75234 Contact Donna Shelton to RSVP: dshel59 at sbcglobal.net It only occurs to me as I write this that this is my first proper Texas tour and my first musical visit to the Lone Star state since I taught at the Winter Festival of Acoustic Music in 2008. I did once drive across Texas but I didn't see much, we did it in one day. Looping is that thing I do where I record one piece of music and then play and record other pieces on top of it (think of how I play "sweet spotted pony" live). But there are other people who are really good at it, and they'll be at the Texas Loopfest this weekend. Some of these guys are old-school, building loops and working with tape delays like Robbert Fripp did in the 70's and 80's with his whole "frippertonics" thing. It's a cool bunch to be associated with, and I'm thankful to have been asked. That said, I'mm the only guy playing traditional music and one of the very few using a traditional instrument. I'm really digging the fact that in the midst of all these ambient freakout bands that are playing my stuff is gonna sound like it came from the moon...and yet has a catchy beat you can dance to. Then we continue the party one more day over in Houston where I'll be playing with fellow Loopers The Winkler and Xandra Wong. Not sure exactly how this is gonna go down, but the show starts at 8. Something else that came to light over the last tour I did (or as I call it "October"), it's only on tour that I have to set an alarm and get up early. Not at all what I thought my grown-up rock-n-roll dreams would look like. I'll be getting up early because I'll be doing workshops in addition to the gigs. Saturday in San Antonio, Sunday in Houston and Monday in Dallas. I'll send out details about those in a separate email later today or tomorrow. One last thing. Today is election day. VOTE. Politicians of any stripe hate high voter turnout, they don't want you to be engaged. Go find the candidate you hate the least and vote, it really does matter. Okay, that's all. See you out there.

No comments: