Tuesday, September 01, 2015

Eatonic Festival in Eaton, Ohio this week. GO!

Labor day Weekend
Eatonic Music Festival
Eaton, Ohio
Many bands over three days of music
Friday: Blues
Saturday: RAAWK!
Sunday: Bluegrass (I'm on Sunday)
Tickets are $80 to $150 for the whole weekend, one day tickets are also available.

A couple of years ago I was playing, as I've done for many years, the Central Ohio Folk Festival. It brings in many folks to teach and perform, with additional "headline" concerts in the evening. I got to be a part of the headlining set one year, but understandably, that portion of the show isn't the kind of thing that they can have me do every year.

As a teacher/performer I also get access to the evening concerts and have had the opportunity to see and meet GREAT performers like Tom Rush, David Massengill and James Keelaghan (one of my all time faves). But still, as a professional musician, it drives me a little batty to have an open night while on tour, especially a Saturday.

So, a few years ago I resolved to find a gig within 90 minutes of Columbus, close enough to get there in time for soundcheck and back before it got too awful late for my hosts; the ever-fantastic Doug and Deena Snapp. 

So while searching for a near(ish) venues in places like Dayton, Youngstown and Cleveland, I came across a venue called Taffy's of Eaton. Eaton, Ohio is just west of Dayton, near the Indiana line, and is very small (8400 people, but it seems smaller).

Taffy's billed itself as "the music mecca of the universe" and I thought, anyone who talks that much smack I gotta check out. So, I went to their website, and saw that despite the size of the place, they've had some pretty serious talent come through. John Hammond Jr., Laurence Juber, Johnny A and a whole host of regional and nationally touring talent have graced the stage. So I called to get a booking and I was told they were booked until the end of the year.

It was February.

A long (and not that interesting) story later, I finally got myself into the club and met the Force Majeure that is Taffy's owner, Manfried. Manfried works the crowd and the bar and the social media. He makes every show exciting and makes every artist, regardless of who they are, feel like a bonafide rock star. This is a man who gets things done.

So it is a great honor and privilege to be asked to be a part of the inaugural Eatonic Music Festival. Three days of great music divided into three categories; blues, rock and bluegrass. It'll feature everyone from talented area cats, to guys like me, to the legendary Buddy Guy! Tickets are $80 to $150 for the weekend (tho' many of the VIP packages have sold out already) and day tickets can be had for $30 to $40 dollars.

It's gonna be a great event, put on by a great guy. And hey! You get to see me too! So I hope you can make it if you can.

again...

Labor day Weekend
Eatonic Music Festival
Eaton, Ohio
Many bands over three days of music
Friday: Blues
Saturday: RAAWK!
Sunday: Bluegrass (I'm on Sunday)
Tickets are $80 to $150 for the whole weekend, one day tickets are also available.

c-ya out there.

No comments: